Tomb of Duc Duc

As compared to other royal tombs of the Nguyen Dynasty, Duc Duc Tomb (An Lang) has a simple and modest structure. It is a rectangular area of 3,445 square metres without a stele pavilion or stone statues, as in other tombs. Long An Temple, at the centre of the complex, followed the architecture of existing temples in Hue. The temple shelters three altars worshipping Emperor Duc Duc and his wife, Emperor Thanh Thai and Emperor Duy Tan.

Following the death of Emperor Tu Duc, Ung Chan, under Tu Duc’s last will ascended the throne on July 19, 1883. However, he was dethroned and imprisoned three days later after being accused of his act to delete one paragraph from the deceased Emperor’s will. 

He had no time to announce his dynastic title; hence the young Emperor was named after his residential palace as Duc Duc. He died of starvation in prison on October 24, 1883. It is said that his remains were wrapped in a sedge mat and carried away by two soldiers and a jail-keeper. The remains were were supposed to be buried at Tuong Quang Pagoda, (which was established by a relative of Tu Duc’s wife in 1871), but the corpse fell down in transit and the people decided to bury him right at that “fated site”. Three days later, his family was informed to perform the funeral ceremony. Under an unexpected circumstance, Duc Duc’s son - Buu Lan became the Emperor and was entitled Thanh Thai (1889 - 1907) six years later. He then ordered the construction of a tomb for his father in 1890 and named it An Lang. By 1899, Long An Temple and other monuments of the tomb were constructed.

 

 

 
Print |   Share
---