Tomb of Dong Khanh

Located in a quiet countryside of Thuong Hai hamlet, Thuy Xuan commune, Hue city, the Tomb of Dong Khanh (Tu Lang) is set amidst the grave yard of the royal family, the tomb of Thieu Tri (Dong Khanh’s grandfather) and the tomb of Tu Duc (Dong Khanh’s uncle and adopted father). Dong Khanh's tomb, the smallest of the Royal Tombs, was built in 1889. It is seven km from the city.

Dong Khanh died when his tomb was not yet constructed. After Emperor Thanh Thai ascended the throne, he designated Trung Tu Palace as a worshipping temple for Dong Khanh and named it Ngung Hy Temple, due to economic difficulties at that time. Dong Khanh’s remains were also simply buried at Ho Thuan Hill, 30m to the west of Ngung Hy Temple. The tomb was called Tu Lang.

Between August 1916 and July 1917, Emperor Khai Dinh (Dong Khanh’s son) had the temple and sepulchre renovated. The renovation for the Left and Right Tung Temples and the Left and Right Tung Pavilions lasted until 1923. With such a long construction and renovation, Dong Khanh’s Tomb was influenced by two architectural styles of two periods. In general, the temple area still reflects the traditional features; particularly Ngung Hy Temple where the well-known lacquer art of Vietnam is preserved. Contrary to the traditional style of the temple, the graveyard is undoubtedly influenced by western architecture, decoration designs and even materials from the West. To some extent, the structure appears to be a successful experiment of blending and is in harmony with the surroundings.
 

 
Print |   Share
---