The Temple

In 1804, Hoang Khao's Temple was built by Emperor Gia Long at its present-day site within the complex of The Temple. It was built to worship his father, Nguyen Phuc Luan. Then in 1821, Hoang Khao's Temple was moved several meters behind the The Temple and renamed “Hung Mieu” by Emperor Minh Mang.

The Temple was again shifted to its original location in the latter part of 1821-1822 to honor Gia Long and succeeding kings.

The Temple was built in an area of 1,500 m2. Up until the middle of the 20th century (1954), only seven altars of Nguyen’s emperors were placed at this temple: Gia Long (1802-1819), Minh Mang (1820-1840), Thieu Tri (1841-1847), Tu Duc (1848-1883), Kien Phuc (1883-1884), Dong Khanh (1886-1888) and Khai Dinh (1916-1925). Three emperors, namely Ham Nghi (1884-1885), Thanh Thai (1889-1907) and Duy Tan (1907-1916), who had the spirit of opposing French colonialism, were listed in the rank of “Emperor rejection”. These kings, therefore, were not officially dedicated at this temple until October of 1958.

The Temple is made up of two seperate halls, each furnished with an ornamented bed made of iron-wood and covered with golden glaze and red lacquer, an altar, funeral tablets, and precious military weapons used for worshipping purposes. This was where the court organized grand funeral services headed by the late king's successor. The Temple is said to be the biggest of this kind of shrines ever built in Vietnam.

In front of The Temple stands several different monuments: the Nine Dynasty Urns, the Pavilion of Splendor and others.

 
Print |   Share
---